Numerous companies are improving their implementation of the mitigation hierarchy to address their biodiversity impacts. They recognize the risks associated with the loss of biodiversity and ecosystem services and the opportunities that the sustainable use of natural resources can bring. Over 60 companies have made public statements related to ‘Net Positive Impact’ or ‘Biodiversity Net Gain’, while others are exploring doing so.
This page helps companies and their advisers think through specific issues related to the mitigation hierarchy and find the best tools and approaches.
- What is the mitigation hierarchy?
- Why and how to follow the mitigation hierarchy?
- What are the key issues at stake?
- How to plan for Biodiversity Net Gain (or a similar goal) for different scopes of activity (e.g. project level, value chain, investment strategy)?
- How to assess whether a development project (eg a new dam or highway) is working towards Biodiversity Net Gain (or similar goals)?
- What examples are there from companies?
- What is needed to make a real shift towards Biodiversity Net Gain?