Application Due Date: 11/24/2014
Forest Trends is an international non-profit organization that works to expand the value of forests to society. We work to promote sustainable forest management and conservation by creating and capturing market values for ecosystem services; to support innovative projects and enterprises in these new markets; and to enhance the livelihoods of local communities living in and around critical ecosystems. We analyze strategic market and policy issues, catalyze connections between forward-looking producers, communities and investors, and develop new financial tools to help markets work for conservation and people.
We are seeking a talented and energetic staff accountant to join our Finance Team and take on a broad range of responsibilities with a focus on Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Payroll. The Staff Accountant will also support the financial reporting, budgeting, procurement and tax compliance functions working within the Finance Team and staff across our exciting programs.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Accounts Payable: Ensurs coding of invoices and maintains the sub-account structure in the general ledger, for check runs, expense report verifications, and account reconciliations.
- Accounts Receivable: Assiss the Director of Finance with handling all aspects of the AR function, including billing, matching receipts to receivables and coordinating follow up actions with staff on slow paying customers.
- Payroll: Process timesheets and manages the relationship with our outside payroll service provider to insure that correct amounts are paid to staff and appropriate amounts are withheld for taxes, healthcare and retirement deductions.
Supporting Roles and Responsibilities:
- Financial Reporting: Support monthly generation of financial reports for internal and external reporting purposes.
- Fixed asset control system: Implement system including the inventory and tagging of all fixed assets.
- Project Budgets: Assist the Project Finance Manager, Director of Finance and other staff members as needed in the preparation of proposals and project budgets.
- Procurement: Thoroughly understands and enforces procurement policies and guidelines
- Tax compliance: Assists with annual 1099- and W2-reporting
- Committed to the mission of Forest Trends
- Experience with accounts payable, accounts receivable, and third party payroll processing
- Financial professional with 2-3 years of experience
- Non-profit accounting experience required
- Minimum commitment to position of 2 years
- Strong and effective communications and inter-personal skills
- High energy, self-starter, strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills.
- Experience with Quickbooks and Serenic Navigator/Microsoft Dynamics NAV, preferred
- Experience with Federal grant accounting regulations and processes
Title: Junior Accountant
Reports to: Director of Finance, and works closely with Staff Accountant
Location: Forest Trends
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please send your resume and cover letter to cv (at) forest-trends.org, with "Accountant" in the subject line.