The Department of Interior seeks a department-wide strategy to mitigation while the conservation banking industry argues over a controversial plan that includes a special 4(d) rule for lesser prairie chicken conservation. Also, Ecosystem Marketplace released a briefing offering guidance to the private sector on nature-based investments.
This article was originally published in the MitMail newsletter. Click here to read the original.
20 January 2014 | We ring in 2014 with some unfinished business from last year, including ironing out a
We’re also keeping tabs on the new inclusion of a five-state plan for protecting the lesser prairie chicken that the US Fish and Wildlife Service wants to include in a special 4(d) rule proposal.
The plan establishes a strategy to conserve prairie chicken habitat, employing a set of incentives-based landowner programs, along with mitigation and efforts to reduce threats. 75% of mitigation will be short term – five to ten years – while the remaining 25% will take the form of long-term conservation. That structure is a sharp departure from typical habitat mitigation, which has typically made permanent protection a core requirement. Under the plan, permanently-protected strongholds will maintain a prairie chicken population, while “moving habitat” will create satellite populations that disappear and reappear over time.
Several parts of the plan have met with opposition from practitioners inside the mitigation banking community. Common Ground Capital (CGC), a conservation banking company with a primary focus of
Outside the US, there’s even more action. We have news items on a new
Ecosystem Marketplace is also pleased to announce that we’ve just released a new briefing developed specially for the private sector, on investments in nature-based solutions to the global water crisis.
—The Ecosystem Marketplace Team
If you have comments or would like to submit news stories, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.