Forest Trends seeks an energetic, sharp, and highly organized communications professional to join our Natural Infrastructure for Water Security (NIWS) Project team. This position will be a full-time, salaried position that will be based in Forest Trends’ office in Washington, DC.
The Communications Associate will work directly with the Senior Communications Officer to support the Water Initiative and the NIWS project team in effectively communicating project content to a variety of English-speaking audiences through articles, presentations, web content, reports, publications, infographics, and social media. This position will be under the direction of the Senior Communications Officer, and will work with the Water Initiative Director in Seattle, and the Natural Infrastructure for Water Security technical and communications teams in Lima, to support a wide breadth of communications efforts related to the Project.
This position in based in Forest Trends’ Washington, D.C. office.
- Support preparation of English-language syntheses of project outputs, key messages, and information for international audiences (primarily in the United States and Canada).
- With graphic designers and the Forest Trends communications team, support and coordinate the development of effective and creative visual communications products (graphics, info graphics, videos).
- Assist project team in preparing supporting materials (e.g., announcements/invitations, press releases, social media assets, presentation materials, briefing packets, and presentations) at international conferences or in English-speaking fora in Peru.
- Assist project team as needed in producing training and educational content, including webinars and digital materials.
- Provide support to the Senior Communications Officer, and the NIWS project teams in DC and Lima, in managing project communications pipelines and schedules (e.g., assuring regular coordination meetings, preparing meeting agendas and minutes, tracking work plan progress and schedules, etc.)
- Coordinate digital content production and dissemination under supervision of the Senior Communications Officer, including maintaining the project website, content calendar, and social media.
- Support the communications team in tracking media coverage and project communications impact.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field: communications, journalism, environmental studies, among others;
- 3-5 years demonstrated professional experience as a writer or communications specialist;
- Exceptional communication skills, including the ability to summarize complex information in accessible language;
- Excellent writing skills in English; demonstrated proficiency in a range of written formats (formal reports, journal articles, blogs, brochures, web-pages, press releases, general audience information pieces);
- Advanced Spanish language skills (comprehension, writing, and speaking; able to gather information from project team in Lima, understand discussions in team calls);
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to work across cultures and with geographically dispersed teams;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use social media to promote content and events;
- Demonstrated experience developing/coordinating audio-visual products (webinars, videos, storyboard, expositions, mind maps, others);
- Familiarity with natural resource conservation issues and terminology;
- Full proficiency in Office 365 and Google Docs/Drive applications, GoToMeeting or Adobe Connect.
- Demonstrated ability to lead work independently as well as with team members across cultures.
- Graduate degree in applicable field (communications, journalism, environmental policy, water resources management);
- Applicable knowledge in green infrastructure, water resource management issues, conservation finance, watershed conservation;
- Full professional fluency in Spanish;
- Experience in media outreach, including pitching article ideas, writing press releases, and managing relationships with journalists;
- Familiarity with social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn) and social media management;
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and other Adobe Creative Cloud apps and services.
To apply please send us your CV, other materials and cover letter to email@example.com by November 2nd, 2018 adding “Communications Associate” to the subject line.